I wanted to take the time this morning to ponder some of the many things I am thankful for. It’s been a tough year in many ways with Mama being so sick and other difficulties Budge and I have encountered and tried to overcome with varying degrees of success. Still, it is a poor, poor life indeed that has nothing to be thankful for and I happen to have plenty.
- First of all, I am thankful Mama is still with us this Thanksgiving despite fighting COPD tooth and nail this entire year.
- I’m thankful for all my family — the ones I was born with and the ones I’ve chosen and who have chosen me over the years.
- I’m thankful for Budge and the nearly 18 years she’s deigned to put up with me.
- I’m thankful all my furry babies are happy and healthy for another year.
Of course, everyone can be thankful for such wonderful things, but I’m thankful for some stuff others might not think of.
- I’m thankful to live in a country where the Antichrist can be elected President and defeated for President in the same night.
- I’m thankful to live in a country where people have the luxury of getting to act like complete fools over a bunch of young men chasing a tough little odd shaped pumpkin up and down a cow pasture.
- I’m thankful I’ve never been shot at to be free, but I am eternally grateful for every man and woman who HAVE been shot at for my freedom.
I’ve got some things to be thankful for others may not need. I’m thankful that:
- some scientist somewhere figured out how to isolate whatever makes bupropion and venlafaxine do what they do so I can have a chance at a normal life.
- even though three of the four are gone on now, I had over twenty precious years with the most wonderful grandparents anyone could hope to have.
- my beloved Papa Wham — who worked hundreds of 16+ hour days at his service station in Fountain Inn — didn’t have to see the day we’d pay for water in a bottle AND air from a pump.
- my sweet nephew Stoney and my beautiful niece McKenzie Grace came into my life in this past year.
- Logan and Caitlyn Brown aren’t my nephew and niece by blood, but by love and that’s all matters anyway.
Being a former librarian, I’ve got some strange things to be thankful for, such as being grateful that:
- 75 years ago this year, a little Hobbit went on a great adventure and wrote about it in the Red Book of Westmarch.
- Peter Jackson finally gets to put that Hobbit’s story on the big screen next month.
- 50 years ago, a precious lady wrinkled time.
- 150 years ago this year, Prisoner 60214 was released from 19 years hard labor and had an encounter with a kind priest that changed his life and made literary history.
- 60 years ago a doomed little pig met a very talented spider and the rest, they say, is history.
I’m also extremely thankful for all of you, my readers, who stop by and spend a few minutes with me. I realize time is precious these days and you have many things you can do when you’re online so the fact you choose to come here, some quite regularly to see what I’ve pounded out is gratifying to say the least.
So, know I love y’all and, as always, keep those feet clean and enjoy Thanksgiving with family and friends!
As always, I enjoyed this one too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Budge, AKA Dana as I best know her!